As people age, their epidermal cells become less sticky which makes skin noticeably thinner. When skin becomes thinner, the effectiveness of its barrier function decreases and releases moisture instead of locking it in the skin. When this happens, the skin is more prone to dryness, and it is likely to lose its ability to repair itself.
When the dermal layer becomes thin, it produces less collagen and elastin fibers. These cause wrinkles and make the skin sag.
Aside from the aging process, sun damage is also linked to wrinkle formation. When skin is exposed to the sun for a long period of time, it can result in dryness, and it can damage the collagen fibers that protect the skin. In addition, prolonged exposure to the sun can cause skin disorders and cancer.
Other factors of wrinkle formation are the following: Poor nutrition, stress, sleep deprivation, excess alcohol or illegal drug consumption, and pollution.
1. Prolonged exposure to sunlight can cause serious skin damage. Experts recommend the use of hats when on the beach, especially between 12nn-2pm. The use of sunscreen and sunglasses is also helpful to avoid wrinkles that might appear around the eyes.
2. Smoking is dangerous to your health. And also to your skin. People who are smoking form wrinkles around their mouths earlier compared to non-smokers. To keep skin healthy, avoid cigarettes and smoky places like bars and restaurants.
3. Avoid alcoholic beverages. Excessive alcohol consumption is bad for the skin. Alcohol prevents the body from absorbing the vitamins needed to keep the skin healthy.
4. Drink at least 8-12 glasses of water every day. Water helps in keeping the skin glowing and healthy. It is an effective element in reducing wrinkles, flushing toxins, fat, and other foreign substances out of the body.
5. Use olive oil as much as possible. It makes the skin soft and younger-looking.
6. Eat tomatoes and vegetables. These contain nutrients that are proven to make the skin look younger. In addition, fruits, nuts, and beans are also good food for the skin.
7. Resist the urge to sunbathe. Experts agree that although tan makes men and women look sexier, it can pose a threat to the skin. Try self-tanner instead. Never use a tanning bed or sunlamp.
8. Pamper the skin once in a while by going to a spa or sauna. Also, get 8 or more hours of sleep. These can do wonders on the skin in no time.
9. Use moisturizers twice every day.
Dermatologists are advising people who have few, shallow wrinkles to use moisturizing creams and sunscreen. However, more and more people are looking for more advanced technology in erasing the signs of aging.
Recently, dermatologists responded to people’s requests for wrinkle treatment. Botox was introduced that softens wrinkles that are caused by grimacing or squinting. Hyaluronic or collagen acids are injected into the skin to elevate wrinkles.
Another breakthrough is laser treatment to minimize wrinkles. The most common laser treatment is called Carbon Dioxide laser that is designed for deeper wrinkles.
People who have deep, excessive wrinkles resort to facelift. It is a surgical procedure that is both invasive and expensive that produces excellent results.
Wrinkles cannot be avoided but they can be delayed. There is nothing more satisfying than looking younger than one’s age. So, just follow these tips and stay young!